Monday, February 2, 2009

When it rains, it pours!

The rain in Japan is pretty amazing, there's really no scattered showers, or partial rain here in Kyushu. When it rains, it seems to rains all day! I love lying in bed watching the rain fall outside my balcony. In fact, my first few days in Oita I experienced a week of non-stop rain so it really brings me back. However! the rain is a bit unforgiving if you choose to go outside, but if it's a school day and you're like me (can't afford to buy a train pass) the other transportation option is biking... so yea...

Exhibit A!
see that bit of light blue near the top? that's the original color of the jeans. The dark blue is what it looked like due to the rain water soaking into my pants.

Exhibit B! that's the result of biking in the rain for 40 minutes but hey! I saved $5 by not taking the train :) I miss not having a car during times like this, but I wouldn't trade my study abroad experience for anything in this world. Also it would be wise to listen to the weather reports, it's actually more accurate than the fickle weather I get back in North Carolina.

2 comments:

eljoma said...

hi!
read your post on "biking to beppu" found by a google alert on the word "beppu." am an incoming grad student at beppu this april.
i just wanted to ask about bikes in japan. i also saw your other post on how you bike to your school. how much is a "regular" bike there and are there "used" bikes available or maybe bikes for rent? am also on a tight privately-financed budget so my only option is to bike to my school.
thanks!
el joma

Diana said...

hello there el joma!

congratulations on your acceptance to beppu this april! I'm guessing it's APU?

the regular bikes here are normally $100, but the used ones are $50. I got my bike from the used bike guy, and its great! these bikes are pretty indestructible and have gears. Biking to school is definitely an option, it's a lot cheaper, and more fun. I save $60 on train passes every month by biking to school.