Friday, April 10, 2009

3 Weeks in Vietnam (March)

Returning to Vietnam after 19 years is quite an adventure. It was the first time I experienced culture shock, and it was in my own homeland. Everything was just so different and I was totally caught off guard. I think what got me the most was the lack of toilet paper. This may sound silly but I actually have nightmares about unclean toilets that are either clogged or overflowing, and especially toilets that don't flush properly. I'm super anal about clean working toilets, no pun intended - just kidding I love poop jokes. To make it worse, I ended up getting a stomach virus which was very uncool given the toilet situation.

Being in VN and visiting my relatives made me realize how undeniably American I really am, and will always be. Growing up in America you naturally develop certain levels of expectations for things such as sanitation and it's difficult to adjust so drastically to Vietnam's sanitation level (or lack thereof).

If you go to Vietnam, bring toilet paper and anti-bacterial soap! and don't drink the tap water unless you want the muddy-buddies to pay you a visit.

No comments: