Thursday, October 9, 2008

2 Steps Backwards

Today after Japanese class my teacher asked me and 2 other students to stay after so she could talk to us. To make a long story short, she was outright discouraging us from taking her class because she says it would be too hard for us and we would most likely get a bad grade, and that we should take the easier route and take Japanese level 1. Now Japanese level 1 is sort of an insult to me because it is introductory Japanese, they are learning Hiragana/Katakana and some very basic kanjis. Of course it would be easier, thats like going back to elementary school, it's easy but there's no challenge and it would be a waste of my time and not going to benefit me at all. It's a step backwards and did I mention it's slightly insulting? I've been studying Japanese for 2 years, there's no way I'm going to take Japanese level 1. I don't want easy, I want a challenge, it is why I'm studying abroad in Japan, I'm not here on vacation, I'm here to get a better grasp on the language.

She was telling us that we probably wouldn't be able to keep up in class and end up getting a bad grade. I completely disagree, I know myself better than she knows me, she's known me less than 2 weeks. I know I can push myself to learn new material, it's just over the summer I didn't study so it's taking me awhile to remember the reviews in class. I spent my summer learning new kanjis, instead of reviewing grammar. But by no means should I go to Japanese level 1 just because I forgot some minor grammar that I can easily catch up in my own time. No I don't need extra help from her after class, in fact I've never bothered wasting a teacher's time because I didn't understand material from class. I'm the one responsible for my studies.

She asked us, what mattered more, being challenged or having a good grade. Who cares about grades? what does that grade say about you if you already knew the material being taught in that class? it could say you did good on test and turned in your homework on time, or it could also say that you cruised through an easy class and at no time were you challenged to think.

While I do respect teachers/advisors for their words of warning against taking a difficult course or program, I don't believe they should ever discourage a student from trying something challenging, because challenges are more rewarding in the end and provide better long lasting results. The process is more rewarding than the result! never ever forget that. Because though the result may not be what you originally wanted, the process you went through is undeniably valuable and that's where true learning takes place. Had I listened to my study abroad advisor I wouldn't have even applied to study abroad because she discouraged me from even bothering to apply because she said I wouldn't even be selected and that there were so many other better students more likely to be picked over me. If I listened to her, I wouldn't be in Japan right now living it up. It was my Japanese teacher that encouraged me to apply in spite of the slim odds. Always prepare for the worst but hope for the best and work towards your goals.

If in life we always took a step backwards and took the easy route, then what is there to learn? What is the point of life if you don't challenge yourself to succeed in difficult or perhaps even unattainable goals?

Not trying is to have failed already and to lie down and accept defeat and mediocracy.

Today is by no means a bad day, her words have just fueled the fire and motivated/encouraged me to do even better in that class and prove her wrong.

3 comments:

Lindsay_Loves said...

She means nothing Diana! NOTHING!
I say prove her wrong!

Diana said...

Thanks Lindsay! I definitely plan to prove her wrong and am somewhat glad she expressed her opinion on the issue because it really has encouraged me to prove her wrong

Takefumi said...

no offense, but who are your study abroad advisors?! they sound so discouraging! mine say "try, you'll never know unless you try" it's the financial advisors who are a bit... unenthusiastic... >.<