Monday, October 6, 2008

The Deal With Natto

Alrighty, what is natto? it's actually fermented soybeans. Comes in little containers and is super cheap in Japan and also extremely nutritious and in my opinion delicious! I did not like natto the first time, but I loved it the second time I had it. I usually eat it with a nice warm bowl of rice and veggies and a little bit of soy sauce. Every time natto is on sale for .80 for a pack of 3-4 I make sure to stock up my fridge with it. It's quick to prepare, cheap to buy, and taste great and it's so healthy for you, so I definitely suggest you give natto a try while in Japan, or if you've already tried it and dislike it, try it again on a hungry day with warm rice and keep trying till you're in love with it.

I hear a lot of people complain about the smell. Honestly I don't think it smells bad at all, it barely even has a smell. Maybe smells a bit like roasted coffee beans but that's it. No it doesn't smell like feet, so quit being immature and making over-exaggerated faces about the smell! In other words, quit being a little bitch and try it! :) The slimy/gooey factor may turn you off but okra is slimy too and plenty of folks eat that without hesitation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfZO_CugfxM

I guess growing up in a Vietnamese household and having been exposed to different foods at an early age, I'm a lot more open to trying new things and actually enjoy trying delicacies of other countries. I'm glad my parents forced me to try strange foods as a kid, of course I wasn't so happy about it when I was little because I think the Vietnamese phrase they used to say was "eat food or eat a spanking" so yea.... I chose the food haha.

2 comments:

Lindsay_Loves said...

I know i like me some beans but that video did make it look slimy!

Tuan said...

eat a spanking lol, i know those words all too well